As the web continues to become more complex, designing static pages has become untenable, so that many of us have started to approach design in a more systematic way. In this book, Alla Kholmatova sets out to identify what makes an effective design system that can empower teams to create great digital products.
Not all design systems are equally effective. Some can generate coherent user experiences, others produce confusing patchwork designs. Some inspire teams to contribute to them, others are neglected. Some get better with time, more cohesive and better functioning; others get worse, becoming bloated and cumbersome. ⇗ Download a free PDF sample (0.7 MB)
About The Book
What are the key qualities of a well-functioning, enduring design system? Throughout the book, Alla will share an approach that will help you every day with your work.
Whom This Book Is For
This book is aimed mainly at small and medium-sized product teams trying to integrate design systems thinking into their organization’s culture. Everyone in the product team could benefit from reading this book, but particularly visual and interaction designers, UX practitioners and front-end developers.
Scope Of The Book
This book presents a perspective on design systems based on Alla Kholmatova’s experience as an interaction and visual designer. It is about how to approach your design process in a more systematic way, and ensure your design system helps to achieve the purpose of your product and fits with the culture of your team.
Table of Contents
The book is divided into two parts. In the first part we’ll talk about the foundations of a design system – patterns and practices. The second part focuses on practical steps and techniques to establish and maintain a design system, including planning the work, conducting an interface inventory, setting up a pattern library, creating, documenting, evolving and maintaining design patterns.
- Design Systems+
- There isn’t a standard definition of “design system” within the web community and people use the term in different ways. In this chapter, we’ll define what a design system is and what it consists of.
- Design Principles+
- Solid principles are the foundation for any well-functioning system. In this chapter we’ll discuss the qualities of effective design principles and look at some of the ways of defining them.
- Functional Patterns+
- In this chapter we’ll discuss the role of functional patterns and why they should be defined early in the design process.
- Perceptual Patterns+
- In this chapter we’ll discuss how perceptual patterns work and their role in a design system.
- Shared Language+
- This chapter describes how to establish a shared language, which allows a group of people to create and use patterns cohesively for a particular product.
- Parameters of Your System+
- This chapter introduces some of the qualities a design system can have, and the ways in which risks and downsides can be managed.
- Planning And Practicalities+
- In this chapter we’ll look at finding support for establishing a design system in your organization, and planning and starting the work.
- Systemizing Functional Patterns+
- The exercise in this chapter describes an approach to systemizing functional patterns, starting with a product’s purpose.
- Systemizing Perceptual Patterns+
- The exercise in this chapter describes how to conduct an inventory of styles, define perceptual patterns, and integrate them into the system.
- Pattern Libraries+
- In this chapter we’ll look some of the practical techniques to set up a simple, useful, and multidisciplinary pattern library.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have any questions, we are right here to answer them. We love our customers, and we’d love to help you in any way or just listen to your story. So please feel free to ask questions via Twitter @smashingmag — we’ll get back to you right away. Just in case: here are answers to some frequently asked questions.
- How much does shipping cost to my country?+
No shipping costs — wherever you are in the world! We ship everywhere, worldwide, via airmail shipping. What you see is what you pay.
- Delivery times to my country?+
All books will be shipped via airmail to keep delivery times as short as possible. You can find the anticipated delivery time for your country in the delivery times.
- Is the eBook included?+
Yes, the eBook is included when you buy a printed book, so you can start reading the eBook right away. We support PDF, ePub and Amazon Kindle formats.
- What payment methods are accepted?+
We accept PayPal, VISA, MasterCard and American Express. Of course, we use a secure connection, with 256-bit AES encryption and a green GeoTrust Extended Validation SSL CA certificate. And no, we don’t store your credit card data on our servers.
- Is there a money-back guarantee?+
Yes, absolutely! No risk is involved. Our 100-day full money-back guarantee keeps you safe. Don’t hesitate to return your purchase. You’ll get your money back with no ifs, ands, or buts!
- I have a question that is not covered here.+
That’s it, everyone! We sincerely appreciate your support and trust, and we’ll make sure to deliver the book to you as soon as possible. Cheers!